Test Catalog

Test ID: MOGFS    
Myelin Oligodendrocyte Glycoprotein (MOG-IgG1) Fluorescence-Activated Cell Sorting (FACS) Assay, Serum

Useful For Suggests clinical disorders or settings where the test may be helpful

Diagnosis of inflammatory demyelinating diseases (IDD) with similar phenotype to neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (NMOSD), including optic neuritis (single or bilateral) and transverse myelitis


Diagnosis of autoimmune myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein (MOG)-opathy


Diagnosis of neuromyelitis optica (NMO)


Distinguishing NMOSD, acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM), optic neuritis, and transverse myelitis from multiple sclerosis early in the course of disease


Diagnosis of ADEM


Prediction of a relapsing disease course


Myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein (MOG)-IgG with an NMO spectrum disorder like phenotype is now recognized as a sensitive and specific diagnostic antibody biomarker of inflammatory demyelinating disorders (IDDs).


Approximately 80% of patients fulfilling 2006 Wingerchuk criteria for neuromyelitis optica are seropositive for aquaporin-4 (AQP4)-IgG. Of the remaining 20%, one-third harbor MOG-IgG. Seropositivity predicts a relapsing phenotype and warrants immunosuppressive therapy. Patients only rarely harbor both antibodies.


There is currently no biomarker specific for MS (multiple sclerosis). Patients seropositive for MOG-IgG are commonly misdiagnosed as MS. Detection of MOG-IgG implies an inflammatory demyelinating disorder distinct from MS. MS therapies may worsen MOG-IgG associated IDDs, so correct diagnosis is important.


Seropositivity for MOG-IgG, in NMOSD like disorders, including optic neuritis (OT), transverse myelitis (TM), and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM), predicts relapse and warrants consideration for maintenance immunosuppression.


Seropositivity for MOG-IgG in the setting of a severe relapse of central nervous system (CNS) demyelination warrants aggressive therapy with intravenous methylprednisolone or plasmapheresis.

Reflex Tests Lists tests that may or may not be performed, at an additional charge, depending on the result and interpretation of the initial tests.

Test IDReporting NameAvailable SeparatelyAlways Performed

Testing Algorithm Delineates situations when tests are added to the initial order. This includes reflex and additional tests.

When the results of this assay require further evaluation, the reflex titer test will be performed at an additional charge.

Method Name A short description of the method used to perform the test

Flow Cytometry

NY State Available Indicates the status of NY State approval and if the test is orderable for NY State clients.


Reporting Name Lists a shorter or abbreviated version of the Published Name for a test


Aliases Lists additional common names for a test, as an aid in searching

Optic Neuritis Antibody
Transverse Myelitis Antibody
Vision Loss Antibody
ADEM antibody
NMO antibody